Brockley, formally a part of Kent, get its name from a wood where badgers are seen. “broc” is an old English word for badgers. The wood in question is Broca’s woodland clearing. Brockley became part of the Metropolitan Borough of Lewisham and the County of London in 1889. The creation of Greater London in 1965, saw Brockley become a part of the London Borough of Lewisham.
Brockley started life as a small hamlet with the same name. It was located in an area called Brockley Jack. This was rebuilt in 1895. A Victorian pub that now houses the fantastic Brockley Jack Theatre called Brockley Hall (which was demolished in 1931) stood nearby. This pub now lends its name to a road on the 1930s housing estate. The oldest surviving house in Brockley is now considered to be the northern extent of Brockley. “Stone House” as it is known, on Lewisham Way, was built in 1773 by George Gibson the Younger.
Brockley was under the flight path for many German bombing missions during the war. As a result, the area saw a lot of damage. However, thanks to the pluck of the local residents, Brockley was rebuilt into the area that we know it as today.