What is Self-Employment
You have more flexibility when you are self-employed in terms of your work when you are self-employed. You can for example work for more than 1 company and choose when and where you work.
Advantages of Self Employment
- There are many advantages working as self-employed. It gives you an option to choose when you work. For example, you can work a morning or an afternoon shift only or work full time. You can decide when to work to match your particular circumstances.
- Also, a self-employed role gives you an opportunity to decide which clients you prefer to continue with. If you wish commercial or domestic clients or you are interested in the One off cleans only, our friendly team will tailor clients to your particular preference and skills.
- You can deduct certain costs – travel and some utilities bills, mobile phone communication, purchases of cleaning products and fuel – from your income when you’re calculating your tax liability. HMRC has rules about which expenses you can claim for (allowable expenses) and those you can’t (disallowable expenses).
- You are entitled to state pension in the same way as anyone else.
- You are generally entitled to maternity allowance if you are having a baby and you were self-employed.
How to Register as a Self-Employed Cleaner
Before you start applying online, make sure you have your National Insurance number.
You’ll then need to complete the following 5 steps:
- Visit the HMRC website and choose the option to “Register Online”;
- Set up your HMRC online account so you can manage your taxes online;
- Enrol for self-assessment online;
- Wait for your UTR number to be posted to you (can take up to 10 days)
- Wait for your activation code so you can complete setup of your HMRC online account (can take 7 – 10 days).
Your responsibilities as a Self-Employed cleaner
As self employed you need to file your tax return as soon as possible after the 5th of April. You have until the 31st of of January to pay your taxes. The amount of taxes you pay depends on how much you earn as a cleaner.
You will need to pay Income Tax if you earn more than £12.570 per year (for 2022/2023)
To file your self-assessment tax return, you can go here:
You’ll also need to make sure you keep all your receipts support all the expenses you want to claim, as well as details of what you have been paid.
Would you like to become a self-employed cleaner?
Cleaning Express works with many self-employed cleaners covering all London areas. Our staff work in domestic and commercial properties. If you would like to become a cleaner follow the link below: