Golders Green used to be a medieval hamlet on the outskirts of London. It was in the parish of Hendon, Middlesex. The most commonly known fact about Golders Green is that ‘Golders’ likely comes from a resident of the village called Godyere. Interestingly, though, this may not be true. Golders Green is probably named after the Godyere family, but no records exist to confirm this.
Not much is known about Golders Green before it was urbanised with various developments. However, if other hamlets around London are anything to go by, Golders Green was likely either a service station for the traffic coming into and leaving the city. Or it could have been a place of industry in medieval times. A lot of hamlet like Golders Green would have built up, surrounding industry that was regarded as ‘not appropriate’ to be done in the city limits. One of these industries was the leatherworking trade. Leatherworking was banished to hamlets just like Golders Green because of the very smelly processes involved in working leather.
Sadly, there are no records about Golders Green at this time, so we don’t know what happened in the hamlet. We do know that Golders Green grew very quickly in the early 20th century, though. This is because the tube station at Golders Green opened then. In London, where the trains go, the people follow. So, this, once quiet hamlet, quickly grew into the wonderful part of London we know today. In fact, in 1908, the first shopping parade was built. And in 1913, the Golders Green Hippodrome opened. This wasn’t long after the housing developments in the area started. So, people who visited and enjoyed the hippodrome and enjoyed the new shops in the early days, likely remembered Golders Green when it was just the small village outside London.